Sign up for the ING newsletter to receive news and announcements.
Date(s) - March 15, 2023
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Dental Care for the Muslim Patient
“Dental Care for the Muslim Patient” is a cultural diversity seminar presented by Islamic Networks Group (ING). This seminar is designed for dentists and dental school students, faculty, administrators, and staff. The trainers will begin the seminar with a discussion on Islamophobia or anti-Muslim racism and its impact on Muslim Americans, including in institutional settings. They will then provide an overview of Muslims and their faith, including values and traditions, before addressing common misconceptions. This is followed by a discussion on cultural competency considerations for dentists and what you need to know for day-to-day interactions with Muslims, including issues such as family dynamics, language, modesty and gender relations, dietary guidelines, and ritual practices.
The objectives of this seminar include:
- Improved awareness and understanding of the current environment and its impact on Muslims generally and Muslim patients specifically
- Reduction in misunderstandings and barriers to accessing dental care
- Cultural awareness and development of cultural competency skills as it relates to working with Muslim American patients and their families
- Increased healthcare provider capacity for addressing growing diversity, persistent disparities, and the promotion of health equity
- More culturally appropriate responses to the needs of Muslim patients based on understanding of and respect for their cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Fulfillment of requirements for professional development and medical education, including those that comply with CLAS and other healthcare training standards
Throughout the presentation the trainers will entertain questions and have a discussion with the audience. Exercises are also included.
Ameena Jandali (bio)
Zachary Markwith (bio)
If you are interested in attending this event, please email ING’s Education Director Zachary Markwith at [email protected].