Sign up for the ING newsletter to receive news and announcements.
Date(s) - March 18, 2023
12:30 PM - 3:00 PM
“Islam: Integration and Accompanying Others” is ING’s “Healthcare for the Muslim Patient” cultural diversity seminar designed for chaplaincy students. This seminar provides healthcare professionals with the information and skills needed to enhance their healthcare delivery to Muslim patients.
Trainers will begin the seminar with a discussion on Islamophobia or anti-Muslim racism and its impact on Muslim Americans, including in institutional settings. They will then provide an overview of Muslims and their faith, including values and traditions, before addressing common misconceptions. Trainers will then discuss cultural competency considerations for healthcare providers and what you need to know for day-to-day interactions with Muslims, including issues such as Muslim perspectives on illness and healthcare, family dynamics, decision-making processes, language, modesty and gender relations, dietary guidelines, and ritual practices; women’s healthcare, including reproductive issues, labor, and delivery; and Islamic views on death and dying and end-of-life issues, including emergency treatment, life support, terminal illness, and palliative care.
The objectives of this seminar include:
- Cultural awareness and development of cultural competency skills for working with Muslim American patients and their families
- Increased understanding of Muslim traditions and practices and their implications for healthcare delivery
- Increased healthcare provider capacity for addressing growing patient diversity, persistent disparities, and the promotion of health equity
- Culturally appropriate responses to the needs of Muslim patients based on sensitivity to and respect for their cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Fulfillment of requirements for professional development and medical education, including those that comply with CLAS and other healthcare training standards
Throughout the presentation the trainers will entertain questions and have a discussion with the audience. Exercises are also included.
Speaker: Ameena Jandali (bio)
If you are interested in attending this event, please email ING’s Education Director Zachary Markwith at [email protected]