Sign up for the ING newsletter to receive news and announcements.
Date(s) - August 8, 2023
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Preventing & Responding to Anti-Muslim Bigotry
“Preventing & Responding to Anti-Muslim Bigotry” is a cultural diversity seminar by Islamic Networks Group (ING). The training is designed for police chiefs and sheriffs, commanders, detectives, police officers, and other law enforcement administrators, staff and leaders.
The trainer will begin the seminar with an overview of Muslim American demographics, profiles, beliefs, traditions, and misconceptions. She will then lead a discussion on policing best practices that includes such topics as Islamophobia and its roots, hate crime stats and cases, hate crime policing, and what you need to know for day-to-day interactions with Muslim individuals and institutions, as well as steps for building community relations.
Objectives of this seminar include:
- Cultural awareness and development of cultural competency skills for working with Muslim Americans and their institutions
- Increased rapport, greater trust, and improved communication between law enforcement agencies and Muslim institutions
- Improved law enforcement and public relations skills for police departments
- Enhanced security and public safety for the community and officers
- Prevention of hate crimes and harassment through increased reporting
- Compliance with Senate Bill 1102 and other mandates requiring law enforcement officer training
Throughout the presentation the trainer will entertain questions and have a discussion with the audience. Exercises are also included.
Trainer: Maha Elgenaidi (bio)