Sign up for the ING newsletter to receive news and announcements.
During the period of time in which events unfold in NY and Washington, we urge Muslims and Arabs to be watchful and proactive in handling what may result in backlash against our communities, property and persons.
1) Report all hate crimes and incidences to the police department, hate crime units. In San Francisco county, contact 415-553-0123. In Santa Clara county, contact 408-279-0111 Otherwise, call the ING office at (408) 296-7312 or the CAIR office at (202) 488-8787.
2) Monitor the media for unsubstantiated theories and indictments against Islam and Arabs, and contact the news department with your concerns, as follows. (San Francisco Bay Area and major national news contacts are listed below).
1. As citizens and residents of the United States, we wholeheartedly deplore and condemn these cowardly acts and grieve with all Americans for the horrendous tragedy which has befallen this nation.
2. We go on record here as stating unequivocally that such acts violate Islamic teachings, which prohibit harming innocent civilians.
3. Despite ongoing and continuous speculations, no one knows who the actual perpetrators of these acts are. The assumption that they are Muslims does not constitute fact or proof. Such unwarranted speculation by the media are a blatant violation of the universally accepted principle of innocent until proven guilty. Responsible journalism means refraining from presenting mere speculation as fact. Remember the Oklahoma City bombing, the media’s reaction, and the resulting victimization of American Muslims.
4. Should it be proven, God forbid, that the perpetrators were in fact people professing to be Muslims, the implication of all Muslims by the press is unwarranted, unfair, and results in the victimization of more innocent
people, especially women and children.
5. Irresponsible media coverage that plays on fear and hate is immoral and unjust and can itself result in prejudice and violence against innocent people. Hysterical fear and hatred have caused injustice and harm to numerous groups in our history – Native Americans, African-Americans, Germans, Japanese, and those accused of communist tendencies during the McCarthy era. Today, American Muslims find themselves victims of discrimination in schools, college campuses and in the workplace, and regularly experience anti-Muslim hate incidences, including threats, harassment, stereotyping, property damage and physical assaults
Media Contact List:
Contra Costa Times
The Oakland Tribune
San Francisco Chronicle
San Jose Mercury News
Email: [email protected]
KPFA 94.1 FM
Assignment Desk: 415-954-7926
Email: [email protected]
News Assignment Desk: 415-765-8610
Community Relations: 415-561-8686
Phone: 212-975-3691, 60 Minutes: 212- 975-2009
National Public Radio