Sign up for the ING newsletter to receive news and announcements.
Date(s) - March 11, 2022
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Cultural Considerations for Court Interactions with Muslims
Cultural Considerations for Court Interactions with Muslims is a Cultural Diversity seminar presented by the Islamic Networks Group’s (ING). The training is designed for judges, court administrators, district attorneys, public defenders, deputies, probation officers, case managers, drug and alcohol counselors, mental health assessors, and other court officials.
Trainers will begin the seminar with a discussion on Islamophobia or anti-Muslim racism and its impact on Muslim Americans, including in institutional settings. They will then provide an overview of Muslims and their faith, including values and traditions, before addressing common misconceptions. This will be followed by a discussion on cultural competency considerations for court officials and what you need to know for day-to-day interactions with Muslims, including issues such as family dynamics, language, modesty and gender relations, mental health, and challenges Muslims confront in jail.
The objectives of this seminar include:
– Cultural awareness and development of cultural competency skills for interacting and working with Muslim Americans
– Improved public relations skills for those working in the criminal justice system
– Increased court capacity for addressing growing diversity, persistent disparities, and the promotion of equity.
– Culturally appropriate responses to the needs of Muslims based on sensitivity to and respect for their cultural and ethnic backgrounds
Throughout the presentation the trainers will entertain questions and have a discussion with the audience. Exercises are also included.
- Maha Elgenaidi – MA, Religious Studies, Stanford University, and Innovation Director at ING. Full bio here.
- Zachary Markwith – PhD, Islamic Studies, Graduate Theological Union, and Education Director at ING. Full bio here.
- Ameena Jandali – MA, Near Eastern Studies, UC Berkeley, and Content Manager at ING. Full bio here.