Sign up for the ING newsletter to receive news and announcements.
Muslim Teens Trained to Be Speakers
Preventing and Countering Bullying,
Earning Community Service Hours
Click here to see a 1-minute video of pictures from INGYouth workshops.
Throughout September, ING engaged with hundreds of Muslim students across the country by hosting workshops in public high schools, private Islamic schools, weekend Islamic schools, and mosques to address their school environments and discuss how they could counter Islamophobia through education.
Each workshop began with a conversation on school climates, where students were provided the space to open up about what they are facing. While some students felt supported by those around them, others lamented the lack of support they feel from classmates, teachers, and administrators in relation to their faith and ethnic identity. Workshops took different directions based on the audience. Some focused on student rights and ways to respond to situations of bullying and teasing through a compassionate lens. Other workshops focused on training Muslim students to educate their peers and communities about their Muslim faith and identity. Students from these trainings can choose to become certified as INGYouth speakers, where they earn community service hours while countering Islamophobia.
Here are some of the INGYouth programs we’ve offered recently:
Thursday, September 5th, 2019:
- INGYouth Speakers Training, Granada Islamic School, Santa Clara, CA
Friday, September 6th, 2019:
- Teen Empowerment Workshop, Evergreen Islamic Center, San Jose, CA
Sunday, September 8th, 2019:
- INGYouth Workshop, Masjid al-Rahman, Richmond, CA
- INGYouth Speakers Picnic, Fremont, CA
Friday, September 13th, 2019:
- INGYouth Speakers Training, Evergreen Islamic Center, San Jose, CA
Sunday, September 22nd, 2019:
- Parent Workshop, San Francisco Islamic School (SFIS), San Francisco, CA
- INGYouth Workshop, San Francisco Islamic School (SFIS), San Francisco, CA
Tuesday, September 24th, 2019:
- INGYouth Speakers Training, El Cerrito High School, El Cerrito, CA
Wednesday, September 25th, 2019:
- INGYouth Workshop, West Oakland Middle School, Oakland, CA
Thursday, September 26th, 2019:
- INGYouth Workshop, Toledo Islamic Academy, Sylvania, OH (Via Webinar)
Islamic Networks Group (ING) is a peace-building organization providing face-to-face education and engagement opportunities that foster understanding of Muslims and other misunderstood groups to promote harmony among all people.